I thought the first week of class went very well with the lab tours. Thanks to Gary at Children's, Pam at VA, and Marlene at UAB for doing such a great job showing the MT/CLS students their labs. I went with the Children's group. After we got through the crowd on first floor looking at the oppossums we made our way to the lab and had a great tour. Since Children's is a CF Center for the US they get a lot of CF patients. Remember some of the pathogens that these patients have. One is Burkholderia cepacia. Check out the info on this organism on the CDC website (from the website you can click on the link to cystic fibrosis for info on the disease) : B. cepacia At Children's they use special selective agar (BCSA) for RT specimens from their CF patients. Check it out:
I hope everyone had a good time and learned a lot on their lab tours.
For some other lab tours (somewhat boring, but some parts informative) check out these links:
Micro Lab Tour Part 1
Micro Lab Tour Part 2


1 comment:
Just a test.
Post a Comment